Fed up with the daily life or searching for your inner self or want to explore the world. So, travelling is the first and best option to discover yourself. Tourism explore us to see the world in a unique way. Many of us prefers solo travelling because it trills and also helps to discover their inner self. So pack your bags and take your first step to know about you. World Tourism Day is celebrated on 27th September every year.
International Tourism Day was first celebrated in the year 1980 in the United States by the World Tourism Organisation. Every year one country will host and act as an Organisation partner in the celebrations of the Day with different World Tourism Day theme.
The purpose of celebrating this day is to raise the awareness and importance of the tourism within the international community and how it effects in the social, cultural, political and economic values throughout worldwide.
The United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) invites people worldwide to participate in the World Tourism Day on 27th September every year. The Secretary General of UNWTO sends a message to the general public to mark World Tourism Day.
Many tourism enterprises, organisations, government agencies celebrate this day with special events and festivities. Different types competitions such as photography in the tourism as well as tourism award presentations will be conducted on this day.
Thailand and Qatar are selected to be the official host countries for World Tourism Day in 2016 and 2017 respectively by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation. World Tourism Day 2016 Theme is Tourism for All – promoting universal accessibility and 2017 is celebrated with Sustainable Tourism – a tool for development.
Thailand has been a member of UNWTO since 1975 and is represented by many of UNWTO committees.
Tourism has experienced continued growth and complete diversification to become the fastest economic sector in the world because of attractive and new destinations for the tourists. This has become the main source of the income for many developing countries.
This day is celebrated with a particular theme every year to raise the awareness from all over the world. The list of different World Tourism Day themes is as follows.
- Theme of 2008 was “Tourism Responding to the Challenge of Climate Change and global warming”.
- Theme of 2009 was “Tourism – Celebrating Diversity”.
- Theme of 2010 was “Tourism & Biodiversity”.
- Theme of 2011 was “Tourism Linking Cultures”.
- Theme of 2012 was “Tourism and Energetic Sustainability”.
- Theme of 2013 was “Tourism and Water: Protecting our Common Future”.
- Theme of 2014 was “Tourism and Community Development”.
- Theme of 2015 was “Millions of tourists, millions of opportunities”.
- Theme of 2016 would be “Tourism for All – promoting universal accessibility”.
- Theme of 2017 would be “Sustainable Tourism – a tool for development”.
World Tourism Day Quotes
- “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
- “See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.” -Ray Bradbury
- “Twoflower was a tourist, the first ever seen on the discworld. Tourist, Rincewind had decided, meant ‘idiot’.” -Terry Pratchett
- “The journey is the destination.” -Dan Eldon
- “In any case, a little danger is a small price to pay for ridding a place of tourists.” -Tahir Shah
- “A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.”
- “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” » Aldous Huxley
- “The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.”- Shirley MacLaine
- “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination with reality, and instead of thinking of how things may be, see them as they are.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” Seneca