Almost 30 tech companies have collaborated in the Anti-Robocall Strike Force which is led by AT&T and encouraged by FCC, and the group will work together on technological and policy solutions to the robocall problem.
The Robocall Strike Force was formed in the last month on the request of FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler. He has called on the carriers to take solid steps to address this issue. Wheeler sent a letter in the month of July to all of major wired and wireless carriers, asking them to deploy free solutions to block robocalls for the consumers and businesses.
“Regarding the Commission’s expectations that carriers respond to consumers’ blocking requests, I have sent letters to the CEOs of major wireless and wireline phone companies calling on them to offer call-blocking services to their customers now – at no cost to you,” Wheeler says in the last month.
Soon afterwards AT&T chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson says that his company will lead the new strike force to develop solutions to the problem. FCC (Federal Communications Commission) held the first meeting of the Strike Force on Friday and Stephenson announced that more than 30 companies, including Google, Apple, Comcast, Microsoft, Sprint, and Verizon, have joined the strike force.
Stephenson made a comment in the meeting, “The fact that we are all here speaks to the breadth and complexity of the robocall problem. This is going to require more than individual company initiatives and one-off blocking apps.
Robocallers are a formidable adversary, notoriously hard to stop. And technology such as spoofing makes it easier for them to work on our various fixes and hide their tracks. So far, we’ve all been coming at this problem piecemeal with limited success, because robocalls continue to increase,”