On every year we celebrate World Solid day on December 5th. So many people got a question why we are celebrating this day, is it essential to celebrate this day? My opinion is yes, we are celebrating this international soil day to get awareness about soil and to know the importance of soil.
Our soil is our food. It may be weird to listen, but that is true. This soil supports the growth of plants, and it is the growing medium for food. It purifies our waste, and it is the place for plants and animals. It may take 100 years to form one inch top soil.
The soil is made of mineral 45%, air 25%, water 25%, and organic 5%. About 95% of our food comes from the soil. It hosts one-quarter of our planet biodiversity and used in agriculture. But now soil erosion is happening
This soil erosion is occurring due to different causes like soil texture, ground slope, intensity and amount of rainfall, mismatched utilization of soil resources, distribution of rainfall and landscape, deforestation. To reduce the dangers of soil erosion authorities has started creating awareness about soil and its uses.
World Soil day history is, in 2002 the international union of soil sciences has made a resolution of proposing 5th of December as a world soil day. The main vision of this day is to celebrate the importance of soil as a critical component of the natural system and as an essential contributor to human well-being.
This year International Soil day theme is soil and pulses, a symbiosis for life. Thailand officially declared this day in the name of their King Bhumibol Adulyadej, and he is an excellent soil scientist. On this day everyone should know the importance of soil.
World Soil day quotes
- Man and man’s earth are unexhausted, undiscovered. Wake and listen!
Verily, the earth shall be a source of recovery.
Remain faithful to the earth, with the power of virtue.
Let your gift-giving love. Your knowledge serves the meaning of the earth.”
- “There is no such thing as a residual soil.”
- A rainbow of soil is under your feet
Red color as a barn and black color as a peat.
It’s yellow as lemon and white as the snow
So many colors below the earth.
Hidden in darkness which is as thick as the night
It is the only rainbow that can form without light.
Dig you a pit, or bore you a hole, you’ll find enough colors to rest your soil well.
- “A Knowledge person is like a rich Soil, feeds If not a world of Corn, a world of Weeds.”
- “I cannot understand the time when knowledge of soils will be complete.
- Our expectation is that our successors will build on what has been done, as we are building on the work of our predecessors.”
- “Nature has endowed the Earth with glorious wonders and vast resources which man may use for his ends.
- Regardless of our tastes or our way of living, there are none that present more variations to tax our imagination than the soil, and certainly none so important to our ancestors, to ourselves, and to our children” » Charles Kellogg
- “Plowed ground smells of earthworms and empires.” » Justin Isherwood
- “As a farmer, the man himself became closely attached to the landscape, firmly rooted in the soil that supported him. At times the soil seemed kindly and again stubborn and unfriendly, but it was always a challenge to man’s cunning.”
- “While the farmer holds the title to the land, it belongs to all the people because civilization itself rests upon the soil.”
- “I saw all the people fast moving early in the morning to go into the factories, stores, and the offices, to do their job. But ultimately it’s not office buildings or jobs that give us our checks. It is the none other than soil. The soil gives us the real income which supports us all.”
- “Who could make two ears of corn or two blades of grass to grow upon the spot of ground where only one grew before, it would deserve better of mankind, and do an important service to his country than the whole race of politicians put together.”