The International World Refugee Day observed on every year on June 20th that dedicates to raise awareness to the situation of refugees throughout the world. Each year World Refugee Day is celebrated by UNHCR and countless civic groups around the world to draw the public’s attention to the millions of refugees who have been forced to flee from their homes due to war, conflict, and persecution.
World Refugee Day Events
At United Nations Headquarters, the UNHCR are hosting the Zaatari portal dialogue from 1 pm to 2 pm.
To commemorate World Refugee Day, the UNHCR partnering with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Action Campaign and UN Dept of Public Information, UN General Secretary Ban Ki-moon will open a multimedia exhibit and will deliver remarks from 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm.
Venue: United Nations Visitor’s Lobby: First Avenue at 46th Street.
World Refugee Day History
The United Nation High Commissioner for Refugees also abbreviated as UNHCR is an agency formed on 14 December 1950 and FilippoGrandi, the current Commissioner of UNHCR. The primary motto of UNHCR is to protect and support refugees and assists in their voluntary return, local integration or resettlement to a third country headquarters in Geneva, Swiss and is a member of UN development group.
In 1954 and 1981, UNHCR has won Nobel Peace Prize. So, following or supporting to UNHCR, the United Nations General Assembly decided and celebrated World Refugee Day on June 20.
As the resolution taken on 4 Dec 2000 but noted that 2001 as 50th anniversary resembling from UNHCR 1950 formation. African people also celebrate Refugee Day in several countries before 2000. The United Nations are noting that OAU (Organization of African Unity) had agreed to have International Refugee Day coincide with Africa Refugee Day on 20 June.
World Refugee Day Theme
Each and Every year, UNHCR announces a theme for World Refugee Day that includes such as one family is torn apart by war is too many (2012), one refugee forced to flee is too many (2010), and we stand together with refugees (2016)
So, 2016 theme is We Stand Together with Refugee petition asks UN HQ to
- Ensure that every refugee child gets education
- Ensure every refugee family has somewhere safe to live
- Ensure every refugee can work or learn new skills to make a positive contribution to their community.
Themes of World Refugee Day
- The Theme of 2017: #WithRefugees petition
- The theme of 2016: “We Stand Together With Refugee”.
- The theme of 2015: “With courage let us all combine”.
- The theme of 2014: “Migrants and Refugees: Towards a Better World”.
- The theme of 2013: “Take 1 minute to support a family forced to flee”.
- The theme of 2012: “1 family torn apart by war is too many”.
- The theme of 2011: “1 refugee without hope is too many.”
- The theme of 2010: “1 refugee forced to flee is too many”.
- The theme of 2009: “Home”.
- The theme of 2008: “Protection”.
- The theme of 2007: “Perseverance.”
- The theme of 2006: “Hope”.
- The theme of 2005: “Courage”.
- The theme of 2004: “Courage”.
- The theme of 2003: “Refugee Youth: Building the Future”.
- The theme of 2002: “Tolerance”.
- The theme of 2001: “Respect”.
World Refugee Day Quotes
“I urge you to celebrate the extraordinary courage and contributions of refugees past and present.” – Kofi Annan, UN Secretary-General
“Despite very harsh living conditions and the trauma of what they went through, they [Sudanese refugees] had a lot of dignity.” – JulienClerc
“Refugees have done more for my heart and my spirit than I can ever express in words.” – Angelina Jolie
“World Refugee Day is an important opportunity to remind us about the on-going plight of millions of refugees around the world.” – Robert Alan Silverstein
“They are safe, but they are not in their homes. They are city-less. I think it’s just a disaster for everyone.”– Teri Hatcher