A student credit card can be availed by students who are at the college level. The minimum age criterion that is set by most credit providers is 18 years when it comes to credit cards. These generally do not come with any income eligibility criteria. Some of the best credit cards for college student come with lower interest rates and are therefore popular among students. These also have a 5-year validity period in general.
Best Credit Cards for College Student
- SBI Student Plus Advantage Credit Card
- ICICI Bank Student Travel Card
- HDFC Multicurrency Platinum ForexPlus Chip Card
- HDFC Bank ForexPlus Card
- ICICI Instant Platinum Credit Card
Criteria for Student Credit Card
Different banks have different eligibility criteria and application process for student credit cards.
- An applicant must be at least 18 years of age
- College going students are eligible for such credit cards
- State Bank of India offers student credit cards exclusively to its customers who have availed for an education loan from the bank.
- ICICI Bank offers a credit card to college students against security deposits.
Documents Required for Student Credit Card
- Birth certificate
- College or university ID proof
- Address proof
- Recent photograph
- PAN card
Features of Student Credit Cards
- Credit Limit – Credit cards for college students generally come with a lower credit limit and on an average such credit limit is set at Rs. 15,000. This helps in mitigating any risk of debt at the cardholder’s end.
- Card Validity – These have a validity period of about 5 years.
- Duplicate card – In case of loss of a student credit card, a duplicate card can be availed free of cost. Some of the banks may issue a duplicate card at minimal charges.
- Fee Waiver – Student credit cards generally do not attract any joining fee and also have comparatively low annual charges. This makes them affordable by college-goers.
- Rewards and Offers – Student credit cards generally have multiple rewards and offers attached making them an attractive credit option for college students. There are also multiple discounts related to purchases and spending on the card.
- Documentation – Some of the best credit cards for college student come with minimum documentation requirements.