Human rights are our fundamental rights or freedoms. They include our right to live, our right to health, education, freedom of speech and thoughts, and our equal rights. Some groups organise protests on Human Rights Day to alert people about different things across the world where human rights are not appreciated and where these rights are not considered to be important. We have shared the famous Human Rights Day Quotes on this page.
#HumanRightsDay is marked all over the world every year on 10th of December. It was first announced to be honoured in the year 1948, annually by the United Nations General Assembly on 10th of December. It is celebrated on the particular date annually to honour the United Nations General Assembly for representing human rights universally.
“On Human Rights Day, let us recommit to guaranteeing the fundamental freedoms and protecting the human rights of all.” — United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
The day was officially formed in the meeting of United Nations General Assembly in the year 1950 on 4th of December. It is celebrated with a special International Human Rights Day Theme to make this celebration more efficient. The World Human Rights Day Theme of this year 2016 is ‘Stand up for someone’s rights today’. Human poverty in any country is one of the largest human rights challenges. Here in this page, we have furnished the best Human Rights Day Quotes.
One of the primary goals of celebrating the #WorldHumanRightsDay is to reduce the rate of poverty life of a human being and help them in getting the well-being life. Various other programs including music, dance, fine art drama, etc and are held focusing on helping people to learn their rights.
“It’s time for each of us to step up for human rights. There is no action that is too small: wherever you are, you can make a difference. Together, let’s take a stand for more humanity.” — UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, ZeidRa’ad Al Hussein
Different organisations conduct various Human Rights Day activities which are commenced throughout the world. The World Human rights Day activities are taking place to spread the awareness about the day. The main activities include get together and celebrate in cooperation to discuss and highlight the specific issues of the human rights.
Human Rights Day Quotes
- “To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.” – Nelson Mandela
- “A right delayed is a right denied.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “The candle burns not for us, but for all those whom we failed to rescue from prison, who were shot on the way to prison, who were tortured, who were kidnapped, who ‘disappeared’. That’s what the candle is for.” – Peter Benenson, founder of Amnesty International
- “The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened.” – John F. Kennedy
- “There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
- “It means a great deal to those who are oppressed to know that they are not alone. Never let anyone tell you that what you are doing is insignificant.” – Desmond Tutu, South African civil rights activist
- “Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where the people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free.”- 14th Dalai Lama
- “A political struggle that does not have women at the heart of it, above it, below it, and within it is no struggle at all.”- Arundhati Roy, Indian author
- The only way to do the human rights thing is to do the right thing medically. — Paul Farmer (Anthropologist)
- Fundamental violations of human rights always lead to people feeling less and less human. — Aung San SuuKyi (Burmese Politician)