With effect from July 31st, citizens filing income tax returns will require an Aadhaar Card linked with their PAN Card. However, only 1.08 crore Indians have linked their PAN Cards with Aadhaar Cards. As per the records, there are 25 crore PAN Card holders and 112 crore Aadhaar card holders which mean less than 4% of PAN Card holders and less than 1% of Aadhaar Cards have linked these two.
Companies can get PAN and TAN Within 24 Hours: e-PAN card can be used as Proof
After the new Finance Bill which was passed in the earlier week, Aadhaar was made mandatory for filing income tax, and Permanent Account Number should also be linked to Aadhaar Card. After few issues like the mismatch of the names, Govt. of India has now made alternative provisions to link Aadhaar with PAN Card.
“In case the taxpayer is unable to link PAN with Aadhaar because of discrepancy in name, we are advising them to log into the Aadhaar website, request for a name change and upload a scanned copy of PAN card as supported proof. This is the simplest way to update the name in Aadhaar, and only the registered mobile number has to be functional,” says, an official.
How to Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card:
- Enter you details in the Income Tax department’s website after registering in the e-filing portal
- If you are a registered user, Log-in to e-filing portal by using your PAN as User ID, date of birth and password
- A pop-up window appears asking to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and fill the ‘captcha’ code and click on ‘link now’.
- If you have opt to link Aadhaar with PAN later click on ‘later’ button.
- After logging, if you don’t find popup window, then go to profile Setting and click on ‘link Aadhaar’.
- Now enter your Aadhaar number and fill the captcha code and click on ‘link Aadhaar’.
- Once the system matches your name, date of birth and gender with PAN card and Aadhaar database, you will receive the message “Aadhaar – PAN linking is completed successfully.”