Bhagat Singh, born in a Sikh family on 28th September 1907 to Parents Sardar Kishan Singh Sandhu and Vidyavati. He is saluted with “Sardar” for his bravery. He has 5 brothers and 3 sisters.
He established Hindustan Socialist Republican Association / Hindustan Socialist Republican Army (HSRA) along with Chandrasekhar Azad, Sukhdev Thapar and others. Naujawan Bharat Sabha (NBS) was on the hand established by him to gather the youth and hold public meetings to make the freedom fight more vigorous. He also started a party by name Kirti Kisan Party.
He was a key member that got highlighted during the freedom struggle against the British Rule in India between 1858 to 1947. He is known as the youth icon of India due to his thoughts and path that was laid for the youth filled with responsibility and nationalism.
Early from his childhood he was never interested in normal family life and always thought to fight for freedom. He was assassinated in the year 23rd March, 1931. He was hanged to death by the Britishers on the charges of murder and revolution. He never lost his smile on his face till his last breath.
He carried out hunger strike in jail for the pathetic condition that prevailed at that time. His hunger strike went for 116 days continuously which is a record. He lost 6.4 kgs because of the hunger strike.
There are some unknown things about him. We try to bring out a few of them. These are the 10 Interesting facts about Bhagat Singh that one must know.
- Unlike his stature as a Revolutionist, he is completely a non-violence follower. Even the Britishers in their enquiry report has revealed the fact that he never intended to harm anyone by his acts and decisions. Central Assembly in Delhi bomb blast is clear evidence of his non violence thoughts.
- Another fact is that, Sardar Bhagat Singh himself has stated that the murder of British police officer John Saunders is a mistaken in Identity. This murder was in response to the death of Lala Lajpat Rai.
- He can speak 5 foreign languages fluently which include English, Arabic, Polish, French and Swedish apart from the Indian languages. This shows his intellectual and intelligence skills.
- At the age of 8 years itself he has the thoughts of participating in the freedom struggle movement and attain Independence for the country.
- He is good reader and a great writer of Books. Many of his written books have been published after the death of the legendary leader.
- He is also a good drama artist. He played many roles of Rana Pratap, Samrat Chandragupta, and Bharata Durdasha. Interestingly, Bhagat Singh is the ancestor for the current Bollywood actor Aamir Khan.
- “Inquilab Zindabad” is the slogan that has been raised by the legand leader. This slogan have made the entire nation to raise the patriotic feelings amongst themselves. Till his last breathe the slogan was carried on by him.
- His patriotism level can be ascertained with the fact that he always prayed a pot filled with mud that is wet with blood of Jalianwala Bagh Massacre Victims.
- During his time, he was more popular than any of the other national leaders like Mahatma Gandhi. He was more popular and famous undoubtedly as the same is confirmed by Jawaharlal Nehru in a speech later on.
- He was hanged 11 hours before the schedule. Along with his followers cum friends Rajguru and Sukhdev. The cremation was also conducted very secretly.
Before the last words about him, there is an inspirational quotation – “They may kill me, but they cannot kill my ideas. They can crush my body, but they will not be able to crush my spirit.”