The Indian state-owned telecommunications company, BSNL announced that they are providing email addresses in eight regional languages. The company has partnered with Jaipur-based DataMail app which can download on any Android and iOS devices.
In line with government’s vision of making India cashless, BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited) is offering free email services to its broadband users by launching DataMail service. From now onwards BSNL broadband users will be able to open the email ID in their regional language.
“BSNL is also known for its network in the rural and remote India, especially in 2G and 3G data. Launching free linguistic Email address service for its millions of customers is another definite step in fulfilling the dream of digital India taken by the Govt. of India Enterprise, BSNL,” said a release.
According to the Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicator Report released by TRAI, the total internet users in India are about 350.48 million. This estimated number is just 30 percent of the India’s population and remaining 70% is not having access mostly living in rural areas.
A few months back, Government of India introduced .bharat domain in Indian languages to increase the reach of internet users. With the aim to cover around 70% of the country’s population living in remote areas, the government introduced the domain.
How to get the Datamail :
- BSNL broadband subscribers can download the DataMail from both Android (Play Store) and iOS (App Store) devices.
- The user has to select the respective regional language for the email ID.
- Tap the tick mark on checkbox ‘I am a broadband customer’.
- Enter your mobile number.
- Soon after that, you will receive the OTP via SMS on your registered phone number.
- Now type the email address which you want to use in your own language.
This DataMail service is the world’s first application which supports Indian languages. As per the reports, most spoken languages in India are:
- Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Kannada, Punjabi and Assamese.